Blueberries and lemon go so perfectly together, blend them into a light and fluffy dutch baby and you have a breakfast that you'll long remember!
You’ll love this Blueberry Lemon Dutch Baby thanks to my friend Mallory from Fork vs. Spoon.
Since this is my first ever guest blog post (eek!) I was a little unsure of what to whip up. But after a little consideration and a tad bit of panicky internet recipe research and cookbook page flipping, I just went with what my stomach was craving. Breakfast.
Waking up early (but not by the buzz of an alarm clock) and shuffling down the stairs to start the coffee. While I sip that first cup of coffee, for there would be many to follow, I would contemplate breakfast.
No cereal would be consumed on this day. Breakfast would consist of something simple, but decadent. Sweet and satisfying. A dish tilting more towards dessert than breakfast, but because it was a Saturday morning … breakfast it would be called.
I had this type of weekend morning recently, and it was glorious. My breakfast of choice was a blueberry lemon dutch baby. A german pancake. A giant popover. Whatever you call it, in the end, it is just good old breakfast fare.
Dutch babies are very versatile when it comes to flavor combinations and can be made savory or sweet in an instant. I, of course, went the sweet route. No big surprise. I have a sweet tooth from the moment I wake to the moment my head hits the pillow. The blueberries cook into the batter and create an almost jammy syrup, which inturn dyes the dish a deep blue.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar or drizzle with maple syrup … ya know, if you, like me, have a mad sweet tooth. And if you like blueberries try my Quick and Easy Scones with blueberries and cream.
If you’ve tried this Blueberry Lemon Dutch Baby recipe or any other recipe on askchefdennis.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on Instagram @chefdenniseats and @chefdennistravels, Twitter and Facebook.
Blueberry Lemon Dutch Baby
- 2 cups blueberries
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- ⅔ cup ⅔ milk at room temperature ( I used 2%), 160 ml
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup white granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- zest of 1 lemon grated
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- With the back of a spoon, grind the zest into the sugar. Do this on a flat surface ( a clean cutting board or counter works best). Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs, in a medium bowl, until frothy.
- Add milk, flour, lemon zest sugar, and salt. Beat until smooth. The batter will be very thin. With a rubber spatula, fold in blueberries.
- Place cast iron skillet over medium heat and add butter to pan. Melt butter and swirl to coat skillet. You want the skillet to be hot when you add the batter.
- When butter is melted and the skillet is hot, pour batter into skillet and place skillet in oven.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and puffed.
- Sprinkle with a bit of powdered sugar and serve immediately.
- p.s. The longer it sits, the more it will deflate, which is totally normal and OK