My Blackberry Lime Butter Cake is the perfect combination of flavors. Top it off with Blackberry whipped cream and it's perfect for any occasion.
My Blackberry Lime Butter Cake will be the hit of your next get-together.
It’s been so nice being off this week from school, the break always seems to come when we need it most, and I have certainly been taking advantage of the break by sleeping until 6 am! Wow, what a difference it makes not having to get up at 4 am, I know I’ve said it before but no matter how often you do it, you never get used to getting up that early, it’s just unnatural!
With all this extra time on my hands I’ve been trying to catch up a bit on my cooking, so I don’t always feel like I’m working behind schedule, and one thing I wanted to make was my butter cake.
I don’t know if you remember but about six weeks ago I made a Meyer lemon blueberry version of this incredible cake, and thanks to Pinterest it got a lot of extra attention! I had a lot of new readers, many of which emailed to tell me just how good the cake was when they made it in their own homes. Then all of a sudden I got three emails in a row complaining how the cake did not turn out, was gelatinous and a total failure…..tasty, but not a very good cake. I even had one compare it to a lemon curd!
I take my work very seriously and try to make sure that my recipes are easy to follow and pretty much foolproof, I want everyone to make my creations and I want them to turn out as good or better than mine. So when I got the first email, I thought maybe they didn’t follow the instructions or even didn’t bake it long enough, which was exactly what I did with my cake, it came out very moist almost to the point of being wet, but so very far from a curd! Well I told them as soon as I had time I would make it again and see if perhaps I left something out of the recipe. I hate making exactly the same thing again, so this time I swapped out the lemons for limes and the blueberries for blackberries, but other than a sprinkling of corn meal on top of the cake (don’t ask me why I just felt compelled to add the cornmeal) the recipe was exactly the same.
If you enjoyed this cake recipe you might also like my Chocolate Cake with a Strawberry Mousse Filling.
If you’ve tried my Blackberry Lime Butter Cake recipe or any other recipe on askchefdennis.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on Instagram @chefdenniseats and @chefdennistravels, Twitter and Facebook.
Blackberry Lime Butter Cake
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- 2 cups blackberries
- 1/2 cup Lime Juice about 3 limes
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 whole eggs plus 2 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp grated lime zest
- sprinkling of corn meal optional
- 10 x sugar to dust
Blackberry Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup blackberries
- preheat oven to 350 degrees
- butter a 9” round cake pan.
- In a small bowl mix together flour, salt and baking powder.
- In a large bowl beat the whole eggs and egg yolks until blended.
- Add the butter, sugar, lime juice, vanilla and lime zest.
- Coat the blackberries in the flour* and set aside
- Stir in the remainder of the flour and then the floured blackberries.
- Spoon into prepared pan, smoothing the top.
- Sprinkle the top of the cake with a light dusting of cornmeal
- Bake until cake is browned, 35-40 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool in pan for
- Invert cake onto plate to remove the pan and then invert again and return to rack to cool completely.
Blackberry Whipped Cream
- In a bowl add the cream,sugar and vanilla and whip at medium speed until almost you have soft peaks.
- add the blackberries and continue to whip until they are fully incorporated
- Place whipped cream in a pastry bag with tip and decorate the top of the cake with a ring of whipped cream, or just served the cake with a dollop of the blackberry whipped cream.
- Before serving dust inside the whipped cream with 10x sugar