This Berry Citrus Bread is great because it combines a few of my favorite fruit bread recipes. This bread has fresh blueberries and cranberries and is also flavored with orange and lemon juice and zest! It is also made with whole wheat flour and flaxseed meal which would make it totally acceptable for breakfast or as a healthy snack!
How to make Berry Citrus Bread
I have been thinking about what I would make for you all for quite some time. At first, I told myself I needed to make something totally crazy and gourmet. I was kind of going nuts thinking about it actually and was annoying everyone I know by asking them what I should make.
And then I realized that while I may be crazy, making an overly complicated recipe wasn’t me. As a doctoral student who is trying to write her dissertation, you can usually find me running around like a chicken without its head! Thus, I’m all about food that is simple, fresh, and nutritious (but seriously, don’t be totally fooled; I have a serious addiction to chocolate and cupcakes)!
After about 10 minutes of searching through my pantry and fridge, I realized that I had a lot of fruit! I decided to throw all of it into a delicious sweet bread!
This Berry Citrus Bread is great because it combines a few of my favorite fruit bread recipes. This bread has fresh blueberries and cranberries and is also flavored with orange and lemon juice and zest! It is also made with whole wheat flour and flaxseed meal which would make it totally acceptable for breakfast or as a healthy snack! I love all the fruity flavors in this bread and I hope you all enjoy it too!
Now, if you want to make this bread fancier, you can make a citrus glaze by mixing together some confectioner’s sugar, a little lemon or orange extract, and a couple of tablespoons of milk. This glaze would obviously take away the healthy aspect of this bread, but it would be totally awesome with it and hey, I don’t judge!
If you like this recipe, you may like these:
- Meyer Lemon Pistachio Pound Cake (Starbucks Copycat Recipe)
- Peach Pecan Pound Cake
- Peaches and Cream Cottage Cheese Cake
- Italian Cannoli Pound Cake
Berry Citrus Bread
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Grated rind from 1 large orange
- Grated rind from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal Optional
- 2/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup fresh cranberries
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line bottom and sides of 9″ x 5″ loaf pan with wax paper and grease (or spray with non-stick spray).
- Sift the flour, sugar, flaxseed, baking powder, and salt into a mixing bowl. Stir in orange and lemon rind.
- Make well in the center and add orange juice, lemon juice, eggs, vegetable oil, and applesauce.
- Stir from the center until the ingredients are blended. Do not overmix.
- Add cranberries, blueberries, and nuts. Stir until blended.
- Transfer batter to the prepared pan and bake until a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean, about 45 to 50 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a rack to cool completely. Serve thinly sliced, toasted or plain, with butter or cream cheese and jam.