The year that I thought would never end is just about over……sigh Mr. Murphy pulled out all the stops this year, and threw everything at us but the kitchen sink! You know that saying what doesn’t kill us makes us stronger, well it might be true but what they don’t tell is you need time afterwards to recuperate!
But with just another week to go and no more lunches to prepare, it’s over and summer is unofficially here! To celebrate the fact that school is over and summer is almost here, I have a very special guest today…..did you forget it’s Guest Post Friday? Nooooo you didn’t!
Today my friends it’s my great pleasure to introduce you to my new friend Bella from Bellabits, and guess what? Bella just got done her school year too! And if my memory serves me correct, the summer is even more important when your 12!
I first met Bella when she guest posted on Liv Life making her Strawberry Corn Cakes with Brown Sugar Whipped Cream! Needless to say I was impressed, not only that Bella was 12, or that she made such an incredible baked treat, but just how well thought out her post was.
Not only will you find Bella creating her culinary treats at Bellabits, but you can also find her on Facebook as well as on Twitter! 12 years old with a cooking blog and immersed in social media…..sigh, I think I was still playing in dirt.
So sit back, relax, put your feet up, and forget about your cholesterol count, because when you young, none of that matters! As I give you Bella and……..
Hey everybody! My name is Isabella, and I’m the author of the blog Bellabits. I’m so excited to be guest posting on Chef Dennis’ blog and to meet all of you! Thank you Chef Dennis for the awesome opportunity.
I am twelve years old and love to cook wonderfully unique recipes. I started my blog when I was 10 years old, and it has been quite a journey. It all began when I realized the kinds of food kids eat nowadays. I noticed that many kids my age would only eat what people think of as “kids food” like mac & cheese, chicken nuggets or hot dogs, which might be ok to eat occasionally, but are not healthy to eat all the time! My mission is to try to inspire families to cook together and make a variety of foods from real, natural ingredients. Sure, some of these foods will be sweets, but it’s all about balance and variety. I want to see more families think outside of the mac & cheese box!
Well I’m here to share another positively scrumdidliumptious recipe with you guys. What do we have this time? Wait for it…BACON CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES! Yup I said it and I’ll say it again, BACON CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES!!!! We’re putting a new twist to the classic chocolate chip cookies you made when you were a little tyke by adding some brown sugar caramelized bacon. When you first bite into one of these warm fresh cookies, sweet, melted chocolate oozes into your mouth. Then your taste buds find a little piece of bacon and it’s officially turned into a mouthful of heaven- NO JOKE! The slight saltiness of the bacon cuts the sweetness so that it’s not overwhelming! You seriously need to try baking these cookies! Your batch will be gone within a couple of minutes!
Although we love adding bacon to our cookies, we don’t love the time spent and mess of cooking bacon, so we use microwaveable bacon, and sprinkle it with brown sugar before popping it into the microwave. In 1 minute or so, you have a plate of yummy, caramelized bacon!
Cooking in our house is a family thing! We think of it as quality time together, and love making something that we all can enjoy together at the family table. My little brother Nick loves to help with these cookies, especially. My Mom calls them “Dude Food”
Baked up, they look like any other chocolate chip cookie, to the untrained eye, but the salty-sweet-buttery cookie outshines the rest. This would be a great cookie to make for Father’s Day!
- 7 slices microwavable bacon (we used Kirkland Brand thick cut)
- 2 ½ tbsp. brown sugar (for caramelizing bacon)
- 2 ½ cups (300 gm) all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 cup (180 gm) dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- ½ cup (100 gm) white sugar
- 1 cup (227 gm) salted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla bean paste (or you can use the same amount of vanilla extract)
- 2 cups (12 oz or 335 gm) semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- Arrange bacon on a microwavable plate, sprinkle evenly with 2 ½ Tbsp. Brown Sugar, and microwave according to directions on package. Cool bacon, dice, and set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Mix well with wire whisk. Set aside.
- In an electric mixer bowl, blend sugars at medium speed. Add butter and mix to form a grainy paste, scraping down the sides of the bowl when needed. Add eggs and vanilla bean paste and mix at medium speed until just blended. Make sure not to over-mix.
- Add the flour mixture, mixing until thoroughly combined. Add the bacon and chocolate chips, and mix at low speed just until they are evenly distributed.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons (or like me, use a cookie dough scoop) onto an ungreased cookie sheet, 2inches apart.
- Bake 22-24 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to cooling rack. ENJOY!
Now that is one delicious looking cookie, I mean how can you go wrong with chocolate and bacon in the same cookie! Now before you forget, head on over to Bellabits and say hi to Bella, just remember to tell her Chef Dennis sent you! While your there take a look through some of her older posts you’re going to love what you see!
Have a wonderful weekend my friends!