Sorry about the picture, but I just wanted to make sure you were paying attention! Yes those brownies were every bit as good as they looked, actually almost fudge like…sigh
It’s been a killer week so far, and sometimes a guy just needs some chocolate, and when I want chocolate at its best, I always turn to Alice Medrich aka “The Queen of Chocolate”! In fact those Brownies were so rich and delicious, I actually cut them into 4 small pieces each. Of course I still eat 4 of them, but it keeps me from trying to eat two of the full size brownies!
I had so many plans for over Winter Break, and believe it or not I did get some things accomplished, but no where near all that I wanted to do, and now it’s back to work, and three full weeks before we get an extra day off…sigh My wife laughs when I talk like that, she remembers when even national holidays didn’t always guarantee I would be off from work, and now as she says I think like a teacher, counting down the days until the next holiday. But seriously, I had computer problems since the end of December when I had to return my old computer for a newer model, a refresh as they call it……let’s just say things don’t always work out as well as you planned, and after another trip back to Charlotte over winter break, and 2 days with 3 different IT departments, things seem to be working ok. I will give those guys in IT a lot of credit, to be able to do what they do to get things running from 1000 miles away, is simply amazing, especially when they’re talking to non computer people like me. I will tell you in a frenzy to get it up an running when it came back, I evidently did something to the computer, they had never seen happen before, so I’m sort of a legend at the home office now (not in a good way either….sigh). So now everything works and the mad rush to close out the month is at hand.
You may have noticed my little announcement Tuesday, but if you didn’t the news is, I am a part of a 24 Chef Team from around the world who will be giving Live Classes on Google+ Hang outs! The deal is we all set up the classes that we want to give, and people from around the world get to attend in the privacy of their own homes in their own kitchens, and I’ll be with them to show them what to do, and watch them do it. The really fun thing about these classes is that you can book them for your friends and family and use them as a get together, I mean what’s more fun than cooking, and eating, unless of course you get to do it with friends!
And where can you find all of this happening? You can find me and 23 other chefs at ChefHangouts.com ! Stop by and take a look around and see all the different types of classes offered. My fist class will be this Saturday at 4 pm Central time and we will be making my Famous Wings and any version that you might like of the brownie I featured today, check out my class on Buffalo Chicken Wings and Brownies !
I know you came from Brownies, and I’m talking shop…..sorry Here is the recipe for Alice Medrich’s, Best Ever Cocoa Brownies…..just kicked up a notch, oh yeah you’re going to love these brownies!
- 10 Tablespoons (150 gm) (1¼ stick butter)
- 1¼ cup (250 gm) sugar
- ¾ cup plus 2 Tablespoons (105 gm) unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon (1.5 gm) salt
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 2 cold large eggs
- ½ cup (60 gm) all purpose flour
- ⅔ cup pecans (100 gm) (chopped)
- ½ cup (75 gm) semi sweet chocolate chips*
- ½ cup (75 gm) Milk Chocolate Chips
- ½ Cup(75 gm) White Chocolate Chips
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees and get a 9″ square baking pan.
- Line the baking pan with parchment or aluminum foil with an overhang on opposite sides so you can lift out the brownies from the pan.
- Combine the butter, sugar, cocoa and salt in a heat proof bowl and place it over a small sauce pot with simmering water, to create a double boiler.
- Stir until the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and allow to cool just a little bit.
- Add the vanilla and stir with a wooden spoon.
- Add the eggs one at a time, stirring vigorously after each one (I’m not too sure just how vigorously you can stir chocolate with a wooden spoon but give it a go).
- When the batter looks thick, shiny and well blended add the flour and stir until you can no longer see it , and then beat it vigorously for 40 strokes with your wooden spoon.
- Add the nuts and chocolate chips and spread evenly in your baking pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minute’s or until a toothpick comes out slightly moist with batter.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- After the they have cooled lift the brownies out of the pan and gently remove the foil or parchment from the sides of the brownies.
- Cut the brownies into squares and enjoy!!
Ask Chef Dennis
I feel like I’ve been beating a dead horse here telling you about the reasons to get behind this, and its for one very important reason…..I want you all to be at the early stages, because this is going to be huge. I know everyone see’s the people on facebook and twitter than have 25,000 followers and just wish they had gotten on earlier…..we all mean too, its just that somedays one more thing to do just isn’t in the plan.
I know that as well as anyone else, but seriously, this is your chance to be that person with 25,000 followers when Google+ explodes as I think we all know it will. Now don’t just go sign up and leave it at that….fill out your profile with a good picture of yourself, and lots of pictures of your food. Add all your sights to the sidebar so people can find your blog, or find you on twitter or the many other social networks we belong too!
Once your on find me, just type in Chef Dennis and I’ll come up, add me to your circles and let me know your there, and I’ll send you my list of active food bloggers that you can circle to get you started. I have over a hundred in that circle, but more than twice that in another circle with food bloggers who don’t post regularly, I really don’t know why they don’t! It’s as easy to post as facebook, all you need is a link, you write a sentence and share it to the public or your circles, it takes two minutes!
I will say that the number of hits I got from google used to be so small it was embarrassing, Google is now become one of my largest sources of hits on my blog, and its been steadily growing. Google says the more your name is added into posts, the more you will show up in searches, it makes sense to them but the competition isn’t happy with it. The complaints that when you google something all the information from people in your circles shows up is not the problem it was made out to be. There is a little tab to make your search world wide , not just your neighborhood…..I mean really are you going to use Bing?
Here’s another little tidbit if you hadn’t heard it already, Google Friend Connect is going away. First all the non Blogger Blogs will lose it, then eventually all will, its Google’s little push to get you into Google+……I don’t really like that, but they didn’t call to ask my opinion or give me a vote, so there isn’t a whole lot I can do about it.
That’s it for today my friends, but I do want to remind you that you can email me anytime with your questions, suggestions or just to say hi, I always love hearing from you!