It’s been a crazy week, I think I actually broke the 80 hour mark on Sunday. It’s like old times…..sigh, my restaurant days all over again! Luckily this week will wind down to about 60 hours and after next week we should be back to my normal 50 hour week.
The bad news is I didn’t have a post ready….sigh
Now the official message for my opening picture is have patience…….let it cool……and read the recipe thoroughly before you bake it. I used the wrong sized pan for my brownies and needless to say had to almost double the time, which of course put me behind schedule which of course meant cut the brownies hot…..
Mr. Murphy and his law have been a constant companion since this school year started, I’m just hoping he gets it all out of his system by the end of next week……I need a little normalcy…sigh, well as normal as I can get. Now in my defense I will say, this ooey gooey chocolate mess was so good, I just wanted to rub one of them all over my body! Wow the flavor was intense, and I’m sure in the morning after an night in the fridge they will be a very fudgy delicious brownie, at least I’m counting on it! Fudgy brownies and black coffee for breakfast, if that doesn’t get me moving nothing will!
I borrowed this recipe from one of my favorite chefs, Alice Medrich the Queen of Chocolate, and I will make this recipe again because its just too delicious not to give it another go (with the right size pan of course). Please do give it a try, I know your going to love it!
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter
- 6½ ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- ¾ cup plus 2 tbsp Sugar (6.125 oz)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs (cold)
- ½ cup all purpose flour (2.25 oz)
- ½ cup all purpose flour (2.25 oz)
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter-melted
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar (5.25 oz)
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2½ cups coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts (8.75 oz)*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- line a 9×13 metal baking pan , bottom and all four sides with foil
- place chopped chocolate and butter in a metal pan over a pot of simmering water and allow chocolate to melt, stir until completely melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
- Stir in Sugar, vanilla, and salt with a wooden spoon.
- Add the eggs and mix well
- Add in the flour and beat vigorously until batter is smooth and glossy and begins to come away from the sides of the pan.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and set aside.
- Combine flour and baking soda in a small bowl and mix well using a fork
- Combine the melted butter with the brown sugar and salt
- Add in the egg yolks and vanilla
- Add in flour mixture and then the pecans, mix well
- drop by spoonfuls on top of the brownie layer, it will spread and cover the brownies during baking.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is completely brown and cracked*
- Allow to cool completely on wire rack, then remove by lifting the ends of the foil and removing from pan.
- Cut into squares*
I did use coffee pecans from Amelia’s Spicing Pecans for this recipe, and if you stop over and like their Facebook page you will be entered to win a Jar of Amelia’s Spicing Pecans, and we’ll even let you pick out the flavor! Leave a comment for Mike to let him know you stopped by, and you’ll get an extra entry into the drawing! Who knows if Mike gets enough comments he may even decide to give away a few jars himself! Just don’t forget to tell him chef Dennis sent you!
Ask Chef Dennis
This is a topic which is near and dear to my heart, as I suspect that it is for most of you out there. I don’t think its really a difficult topic, I mean all you have to do, is do the right thing….right? Well it should be that simple! Blog unto others as you would have them blog unto you.
I’m talking about this because in one week I saw two of my friends affected by what can only be considered poor judgement. Is it okay to copy someone’s recipe, I think it is as long as you give them credit, and as long as you don’t copy and paste it into your post…..sigh But, here’s some advice, if you do check for spelling, one of my friends had her post copied with spelling errors intact! But really if you make someone’s recipe, that’s a beautiful thing, just right your own post.
The truth is there are so many of us out there blogging and cooking our hearts out that on any given moment, the chance that two of us are making the same thing are pretty darn good! Most recipes have been around the block a time or two, but it’s our personal touch that makes them uniquely our own. So please do copy your friends, (of course I wouldn’t do it while their post is still new) just give them credit.
I think the best feeling you can have is when someone successfully recreates one of your posts. Isn’t that the goal, to share our wealth of knowledge and cooking technique so others can benefit from it? That’s gotta be part of it. Again, just credit where credit is due, no one expects us to reinvent the wheel each time we step into the kitchen.
I have seen other bloggers even copy pictures, which brings me to another point, copyright. Do you have one on your blog? If you don’t then you better get one. Help protect each other too, this is a community. If you see one of these transient sites up and there taking content from bloggers, if you recognize anyone’s name let them know!
Another part of our ethics is about commenting. We all know there are trolls out there, self obsessed individuals that have such a sad existence that their only joy comes at the expense of others. As sad as that may seem, it does not excuse them from common courtesy. We read each others blogs because were friends, we support each other and we learn from each other. We don’t leave disheartening comments, rude remarks, or even worse threatening comments. While I have had a few strange comments lately nothing compares to what our friend Linda from Salty Seattle went through just recently, you can find it on the Food Blog Alliance site. We do have rights and you can learn more about then by reading Linda’s post. Just remember anything you write on the internet is forever.
I’m going to leave you with these thoughts, this is our community, we need to take care of it and each other, because If we don’t who will?
Enjoy the rest of your week my friends, and as always, please remember.
Share Your knowledge- Together We Are Stronger!