(update-we ended up with mostly rain in our area, we did get lucky!)
Well lets not worry about that now, we have superbowl parties to get ready for! My contribution to the superbowl mayhem is going to be Buffalo Chicken Wings, now I know everybody and their cousin has a sure fire Buffalo Chicken Recipe, it’s certainly not rocket science, but there are a few nuances that will make these the Best Buffalo Wings you have ever had!
Of course the first ingredient are Chicken wings, fresh not frozen. Did you ever notice how the bones get black inside when you use frozen chicken….yuk! So we have fresh wings, all joints intact. Their easy enough to separate at the joint, and of course we’re not throwing away the little end piece of the wing, were saving them for chicken stock!
The first thing you should always do with fresh chicken is rinse it in cold water, pat it dry with paper towels and then cut the joints apart, you get a drummie and a wing joint. Once all of your chicken is prepped you can move on to the next step and get ready to make the best buffalo chicken wings you’ll ever have!
There are a lot of great brands of bleu cheese dressing out there, but if you want to make your own dressing it’s really pretty easy. There is really only one trick to a really good bleu cheese dressing.
- 16-20 chicken wings (depending on size)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups canola oil (or your favorite oil)
- salt and black pepper
- 12 oz Franks Buffalo Wing Sauce (or hot sauce of your choice)
- 1½ (6 oz) stick unsalted butter
- 3 oz honey
- 8 oz Bleu Cheese
- 1 cup sour cream or Greek Yogurt
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- ¼ cup milk or buttermilk
- ¼ teaspoon granulated onion
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- In a sauce pan melt the butter then add the honey and turn off the heat
- Add in hot sauce and using a wire whip blend until fully incorporated into the butter/honey mixture.
- You can heat this sauce if you want it hotter, but at this temperature the sauce will cling really well to the chicken wings. If you let the sauce get to hot it will break and separate into an oily mess!
- Set aside sauce until ready to coat wings
- In a food processor, add the sour cream or Greek yogurt, the milk and half of your bleu cheese.
- Pulse the mixture until all of the bleu cheese has been blended in.
- Add this mixture to the mayonnaise with the remaining bleu cheese crumbles and seasonings. (The seasonings are just a guide, season it to your taste)
- You should make this dressing at least one day ahead of time, to let the flavors build, it will taste the best after 48 hours.
- Wash all of the chicken wings, then on a cutting board, cut the wings into 3 pieces, either discarding the end wing section of freezing and saving for soup stock.
- Pat dry all wing pieces you will be using.
- Season your flour with salt and pepper (about ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp black pepper) and dredge chicken wings in the seasoned flour
- Preheat oil in a large skillet to fry your wings
- Place wings in hot oil and fry for about 4-5 minutes, then turn them over and cook the other side for about the same time. (You want the wings to get crispy and have a good color).
- Remove the cooked wings to paper towels to drain
- Place the cooked wings in a large bowl with your buffalo sauce and toss them to get a good even coating of buffalo sauce on the wings.
- Serve and enjoy!
I know you will love these hot wings, the crunchy coating of the wings combined with the perfect balance in the hot sauce as it clings to the wing will just make you wish you had made more!