Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

I have had a lot of requests for my Hummus Recipe so today I made some Roasted Red Pepper Hummus and thought it a perfect time to post the recipe.
My Introduction to Hummus began about 3 years ago, I had gone down to one of our newly acquired schools right outside of Baltimore to help provide culinary support and training in our Flik approach to healthy eating.  Being trained as a classic Italian Chef, I had never had a reason or desire to make Hummus, but that changed that day.  I was asked to make hummus for the salad bar, and not having access to a computer to look it up I had to reluctantly tell my District Manager (quietly), that I had never made Hummus and didn’t know how.  It’s easy he said, quickly telling me the ingredients but not the quantities….so should I say trial and error…
Well  think I got lucky, or maybe its just my uncanny knack for making things tasty (he says modestly).  Truth be told when I make foods I never have had before or think I don’t like I make it per the recipe then make adjustments until it tastes good to me and I would eat it.  So far that has worked well for me.
So I took his list of ingredients and began the process.  It tasted pretty good….who knew?
We were on spring break so when I got back to the Mount I made Hummus…I had forgotten to order Lemons….yikes……hey I had lemon pepper……wow…it came out even better (when I told my DM he said , oh no you have to use fresh lemon juice) I was making hummus everyday so I think my version worked.
When I was in Wegman’s that weekend picking up some cheese and olives for lunch, I saw Hummus……different types of hummus……oh my ……who knew?
So I started adding different things to my hummus, even making my own version of Baba Ganoush.

Here is my Recipe for Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

1 16 oz can of chic peas (garbanzo beans)
1/4 cup of Roasted Red Peppers
2 teaspoon lemon pepper (more if you like it a little spicier)
2 tablespoons tahini
2 cloves garlic, crushed

1 Teaspoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil to drizzle

Preparation:
Drain chickpeas and set aside liquid from can. Combine remaining ingredients in blender or food processor.
If the mixture appears to thick you can either add juice from the roasted peppers or from the chic peas
Blend for 3-5 minutes on low until thoroughly mixed and smooth.  You may salt to taste if necessary but by using lemon pepper it shouldn’t need any.

Serve this with toasted pita chips and drizzle a little Olive Oil on top of the hummus.

Comments

1. Great dip…thanks for sharing

2. The Lonely Radish says:

I know it's so easy to make, but when I am in Pennsylvania I still find myself buying Wegmans garlic hummus. It's so good:)

3. Lazaro Cooks! says:

Wonderful dip. I might take it to the beach this weekend. Cheers!

4. Hey Chef, this looks great and simple. I love roasted red pepper hummus. I feel that chick peas and red peppers are meant for each other!
    Hey, by the way, I made your biscotti recipe while on vacation. If I post them, are you okay with me linking to you (just wanted to ask first!)…
    My Warmest, Stella

5. Stephany says:

Yum!

6. Shannon @ bakeandbloom says:

I love a good healthy dip. Roasted peppers are a fridge staple for me so this is fabulous!

7. Holly Keegan says:

I love hummus… on pita, wraps, with veggies and crackers. Totally versatile and easily changeable.

8. Sounds Tasty! I love hummus of any kind :)!

9. Casey Angelova says:

I am a big hummus fan, but I have never tried to make it with roasted red peppers! Interesting!

10. Oh yum! I have always hated hummus, until recently, now I love it. This looks super good!

11. Kitchen Butterfly says:

I love hummus, and roasted peppers (of any colour) so this is right up my mount. Delish

12. What a great program you have! Exactly what children need!

13. Jencrafted says:

My husband and I love hummus! Healthy and oh so flavorful! I will try this recipe soon! Thanks for sharing.

14. Jencrafted says:

15. I love hummus and I certainly will try to make this recipe at home.
    Thank you for sharing.

16. isn't it nice to be able to improvise – looks and sound delicious

17. bunkycooks says:

Hummus is delicious, especially when homemade and with the addition of red pepper! Thanks for sharing.

Hi. Thanks for visiting http://www.aspicyperspective.com! Your hummus recipe looks simple and delicious–just how I like my recipes! What a cool job you have. I'm sure you are making a life-long impact on the girls you teach.

Visit us again!

19. Hey Dennis, thanks for the comment on the granola. By the way, I plan on posting your biscotti as one of my next few posts. I'm making it AGAIN, so I thought I'd wait to take a few more pics…

20. citronetvanille says:

Love the addition of red bell peppers, lovely hummus!

21. whisk-kid says:

Yum! I love all kinds of hummus, and roasted red pepper is my favorite kind!

22. Roasted red pepper hummus is one of our favorites! Lemon pepper is a clever addition — I'll bet the citrus flavor is fantastic, along with a bit of added heat. I'll have to try that next time!

23. Kathleen says:

Dennis!! How did you know my new favorite obsession is hummus?! Wish I was still back at good ol' MSJ to taste yours before I go and tackle this myself. My graduation is on May 15th, so hopefully I'll get back to visit before I start my summer job…I really hope this will be on the menu when I'm there!

Hope you are well!!!
    All the best,
    Kathleen

24. Chef Dennis says:

Hi Kathleen

oh how I do wish you were back at the Mount…sigh…I do miss you!! For the hummus its really very easy….and don't forget to do some pita chips, cut up some pita's a little olive oil, season them up, salt pepper garlic onion, pop them in the oven for about 10 minutes till they crisp up….yummmmm

stop and see me soon!!
    Dennis

25. Cooking with Coley says:

Looks fantastic. I have yet to make my own hummus which is really so silly seeing as I buy it every week. Thanks for the inspiration to make my own!

26. Hummus is one of those dishes that prove that simple is best. Your recipe looks delicious. I have bookmarked this one. Thanks for sharing!

27. strivingbean.com says:

Lemon pepper – what a great idea. I'm wondering how you got the hummus to such a creamy smooth consistency. Do you have an amazing food processor? What kind?

28. Spicie Foodie says:

Hi what a wonderful recipe! I am the same way with my cooking of new foods. You just have to experiment & do what feels good to you:) I can't wait to try your recipe.

29. Emily Ziegler says:

A great recipe! I am such a roasted red pepper hummus fanatic, but have never gotten around to making my own!

30. Abraham Chacko says:

brilliant… stuff…

31. You can't beat a good hummus!

32. I tried making roasted red bell pepper hummus a while back and it was a disaster! This recipe looks simple and great. Thanks!